Sunday 19 May 2013

Axeheads and Driftwood

Cor well I am limping to the end of this year...only one and a half weeks to go before assessments and I still have quite a few sculptures to make when the pieces come out of the kiln eek!  Still, I am really going to miss this college as it has been an amazing time, and I just hope I can find a way to keep making after I finish.

I thought I would share some of the pieces which will be going into the final exhibition ( I hope!)  There is still more to come but these are a few that are actually finished ahem...;)

I became somewhat fascinated by axeheads last term.  There is something lovely about their swooping shapes and once saggar-fired they look lovely with the silver birch.




This term took me on a hunt for more seasoned wood and I ended up on the beach hunting for driftwood.  I found some lovely pieces of wood and an old washed up frame, so I decided to try and do something with them.





A friend of mine also hauled these two pieces off the beach for me...they are massive and were very wet and soft, but I have scooped them out and dried them off and sanded them, so hopefully will be able to use them for something ;)


All the plastic I found on the beach will be made into wall pieces with the ceramic discs, and I have made hanging discs with ceramic versions of the plastic to highlight their colours.











And I made a couple more with some driftwood and shells...



And a dish, for good measure ;)


Anyhoo, hopefully it will all come together in the end and not look like a complete dog's dinner...there could well be more culling to come before the final cut, but I've enjoyed the journey I've been on this year and there are elements of the work here which I would like to expand upon in the future.

If any of you are in Cork and would be interested in coming to the exhibition, feel free, as it is free and there will also be free booze available ;) It is on the 7th June in the Crawford College of Art, and more information can be found here...


It'll be great craic ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment